Monday, August 2, 2010

Letter to Taiwan President

28 February, 2002

President Chen Shui-bian
The Office of the President
of the Republic of China

Dear Mr. President,

Although a foreigner, I hope I have the liberty of requesting your
assistance.
Early last year, in 2001 (90), I won an Appeal award sanctioned by
Taiwan's Ministry of Education. More than one year later, this award has
still not been enforced and I have been denied its legal benefits.
The university against which I appealed, National Cheng Kung
University in Tainan, refuses to honor the Ministry of Education
decision, although the Ministry of Education has sent several letters
advising them to do so. I do not understand how, in a lawful society,
such noncompliance is possible.
I have repeatedly requested the Ministry of Education, by fax and
by telephone, to enforce university compliance. But I have yet to
receive the legal benefits of my award. I do not see how this is
possible, since Taiwan, as a democracy, is a nation of rights and laws.
I am an American citizen. Taiwan citizens are guaranteed legal
protections under American laws just like American citizens. A Taiwan
citizen who won an appeal in America would not, because he or she was a
Taiwan citizen, be denied the legal effects of a lawful ruling. And
clearly the Ministry of Education Appeal judgment in my favor was a
lawful ruling, since the Ministry is a lawful agency of the Taiwan
government.
As you know, recently the Mexican government blacklisted Taiwan
citizens as immigration risks and the Taiwan government retaliated,
evoking the principle of reciprocity. I do not see why the Ministry of
Education does not observe the same principle of reciprocity in my case.

Therefore I am taking the liberty of making this personal request.
I respectfully ask that you appoint officials or staff to intervene in
this case and effect justice.
Chinese colleagues and I have dedicated a great deal of time in our
effort to win my appeal. I have also lost my savings and years of my
professional career fighting this case, which has now lasted almost
three years. I have gone without medical benefits during that time.
Patience is a virtue, but so is justice.
If you wish documentation of these issues, the references below
include Chinese professors fully informed of all the facts, details, and
general history of my case, including the countless violations committed
by university officials, some of which are documented in the official
Ministry of Education Appeal decision.
I thank you in advance for whatever assistance you or your staff
are willing to give in this matter. And my best wishes for peace and
prosperity in Taiwan.

Sincerely,

Professor Richard de Canio

No comments:

Post a Comment