Monday, August 2, 2010

Letter to Taiwan Ministry of Education

3/1/2002 1:50 AM

Ministry of Education,
Minister Huang J.T.

20 February, 2002 (91)

Dear Minister Hwang,

I was advised to fax this message to you, the newly appointed Minister of
Education, summing up issues related to my case.
In June of 1999 I was dismissed from National Cheng Kung University.
Unproved accusations against me were made in secret; several accusations
were maliciously solicited. Because of these flagrant and grievous
violations, which would be a scandal at universities in other countries, my
dismissal was canceled by the Ministry of Education Appeal Committee early
in 2001.
Yet despite the fact that more than one year has passed, I have yet to
receive my contract and back pay, nor have officials involved in this
misconduct been punished.
The university claims that, although I won my appeal, this merely
allows me to appeal again. Where in the world would an official shamelessly
argue in such a devious manner?
First, it is a universal principle in all governments that a final
appeal is, as the name implies, FINAL.
Second, if it were not final, why would a person appeal in the first
place?
Third, if it were not final, the university would have made that clear
from the very beginning.
Fourth, the appeal wasn’t even sanctioned by the university, but by the
Ministry of Education, which, presumably, represents the highest law in the
land.
Fifth, the Ministry of Education cannot reasonably expect the
individual appellant to enforce the law. Nor can the Ministry of Education
reasonably expect the appellant to wait forever for his legally sanctioned
benefits.
Recently, as you may know, the Taiwan government protested the unfair
blacklisting of Taiwan citizens by the Mexican government. Within days, as
I recall, the Taiwan government retaliated with certain reciprocal penalties
against Mexican citizens, appealing to the famous Chinese principle of
reciprocity.
Now I, as an American citizen, don’t understand why the Taiwan
government is prompt defending the principle of reciprocity for its own
citizens but is unduly lax in applying the same principle in my case.
Having lost patience, I was compelled to notify the American Institute
in Taiwan of this situation. In turn, the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign
Affairs was notified. They, in turn, requested an account from the Ministry
of Education.
Now almost three years have passed since my first dismissal. I have
invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in this legal battle. I have also
gone without medical insurance for this period. Yet I have yet to enjoy the
benefits of my victory, including my contract or back pay and compensation.
Taiwan citizens are fully protected by laws in my country; it is
reasonable to assume that American citizens are similarly protected by laws
in Taiwan.
I am fully committed to returning to National Cheng Kung University as
an Associate Professor, as insured by my appeal victory, fully sanctioned by
the Ministry of Education. I look forward to the final resolution of this
case, the issuance of my contract, and appropriate compensation.
Sincerely,
Professor Richard de Canio
(06) 237 8626

No comments:

Post a Comment