Monday, August 2, 2010

Letter to Taiwan Ministry of Education

To: The Minister of Education
Dr. Ovid Tzeng

CC: SCHOLARS AT RISK

Dear Minister Tzeng,

I would like to remind you once again that early this year I won a
Ministry appeal ruling against my dismissal at National Cheng Kung
University in Tainan. I remind you again that National Cheng Kung
University is in defiance of this ruling. It is reasonable to assume
that, in any other democracy in the world, a university president in
defiance of a Ministry ruling would be summarily removed from office.
I remind you that, as Minister of Education, you must enforce laws
according to the rulings of your own Ministry and in accordance with
Taiwan laws. It is not the burden of an individual to enforce laws for
the Ministry of Education. The individual lacks both the authority and
the resources to do so. I remind you that elsewhere in the world, such
as in my own country, America, government officials enforce laws to
protect individuals, whether those individuals are American citizens or
foreign, such as Taiwan, citizens.
Sincerely,

Professor Richard de Canio
National Cheng Kung University

No comments:

Post a Comment