Monday, August 2, 2010

Letter to Taiwan Ministry of Education

To: Minister of Education,
Dr. Ovid Tzeng
From: Professor Richard de Canio

Dear Sir,
I am including a copy of a letter recently sent and circulated to several
parties, including the Vice-President of Taiwan.
Please understand, I have run out of patience in the resolution of this
case. The case to me seems very simple. The Ministry has issued a ruling;
that ruling must be enforced. To the extent to which that ruling is not
enforced, or delayed, is the extent to which there is no law in any
practical or legal sense of that word.
Try to understand. I have been patient enough. Yet for more than two
years, I have been held , in effect, as a political hostage in Taiwan,
without health care, and unable to live a normal life, for two years.
Meanwhile, presumably a private university lawyer is able to dictate legal
principles and legal policy to a governmental Ministry. How is this
possible?
It seems to me clear what a Ministry must do in a case like this. Its first
and only obligation is to defend the law and its execution. The president
of National Cheng Kung University, along with his legal advisers, is in
defiance of a legal ruling of the Ministry of Education.
In a democracy, as soon as an official defies a legal judgment from a
superior agency, legal action is taken against those parties involved. This
involves dismissal and criminal prosecution. I see no alternative in this
case.
Unless I am informed of a resolution in this case no later than the middle
of this week, including issuance of my contract and full monetary
compensation, I shall seek advocacy and redress outside of Taiwan.
Respectfully,

No comments:

Post a Comment