Saturday, July 31, 2010

Regarding Lily Chen

8/23/2004 5:41 PM
Subject: Regarding Lily ChenTo: moe
CC: Control Yuan ,
Huei-chen Ko

Ministry of Education
Taipei, Taiwan

23 August 2004

Dear Ministry Officials,

I want to make clear again (if I have not already) that Dean Ko Huei-chen
has done nothing one expects a dean to do about a case of misconduct like
Lily Chen's.
Instead, many months ago, Dean Ko invited me to a meeting with Lily
Chen. I prepared for this meeting weeks in advance. On the day of the
meeting, after waiting about ten minutes, Dean Ko finally appeared, only to
tell me that, "Lily Chen decided not to come."
Are you telling me that Dean Ko can't require the presence of one of
our students in her office? Is this called "handling the case"?
Handling a case doesn't mean chopping a piece of paper to show an
official has seen the paper. It means doing something that makes a
difference.
First, Lily Chen should be required to come to an arranged meeting.
What right does a student have to refuse to come when asked to? Even a
professor doesn't have that right! Does Lily Chen have more rights than
teachers here?
At least you'd think Dean Ko would have the courtesy or common sense to
inform me by telephone that Lily was not coming. Instead, I arranged my
morning for that meeting and Dean Ko wasted my entire morning.
Is this the way to run the Office of Student Affairs?
It seems to me that Dean Ko has no right to say she has "handled the
case." A dean can't decide for herself what to do on an issue like this.
She's got to do what a faculty member asks her to do. Why else have an
Office of Student Affairs?
I ask that the Ministry of Education advise Dean Ko of her duties. I
don't intend to play this game of "hide-and-seek" with Dean Ko and Lily Chen
much longer.

Sincerely,

Richard de Canio
Associate Professor
FLLD
NCKU
Tainan, Taiwan

No comments:

Post a Comment