Saturday, July 31, 2010

Regarding the case at National Cheng Kung University

Subject:
??????
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 15:49:02 -0700



http://eyemail.gio.gov.tw:9100/cgi-bin/show_re_mail?msgid=361846&check=invictus2002

????: THU, 18 MAY 2006 15:39:20
??: Regarding the case at National Cheng Kung University
????: 1 ???

Ministry of Education
Taipei, Taiwan

18 May 2006

Dear Ministry of Education,

Despite your constant warnings to Mr. Kao Chiang and his associates
at National Cheng Kung University, the university continues to play
political football with my reputation.
Most recently the university claimed to have held yet another
meeting about increments denied me (I should say "simulated" meetings,
since all those meetings are charades in defiance of the Ministry ruling
of 8 January 2001, which favored me).
From what I understand, the most recent meeting upheld the decision
to deny me annual increments, once again in defiance of the Ministry of
Education ruling of 8 January 2001, in contempt of legal rights
principles, and in scorn of moral principles.
Even worse, the administration has engaged in more dilatory tactics
since I requested to see the minutes of that meeting (as if they should
not have been routinely circulated to me), so I can take proper legal
action against Mr. Kao and those involved in that meeting. (Legally, I
am holding Mr. Kao responsible for all meetings improperly convened in
this case.)
(As of this email, I have not received the minutes: Presumably
everything at National Cheng Kung University must go through a byzantine
bureaucratic process before it's publicly available.)
I am puzzled why the Ministry of Education tolerates this kind of
contempt of law on the part of Mr. Kao and his cohorts at our
university. The Ministry's tolerance of Mr. Kao and his associates only
encourages further abuses at our university, as well as their ultimate
exposure.
Recently the Secretary-General of National Cheng Kung University,
Yang Ming Tsuong was quoted as saying to a university newspaper
in
Taipei that (according to an English translation I received):
"All university administrative procedures are following (Ministry of
Education ) directions. De Canio's numerous petitions let the Ministry
of Education continuously ask investigation, which provoked the
University. [Yang Ming Tsuong] thought that if the Ministry of
Education did think this improper, they could investigate themselves.
The university will cooperate completely."
This interpretation of events is laughable; and any official who
entertains the illusion that after defying a legal Ministry ruling for
more than two years, and continuing to defy the full benefits of that
ruling up to the present, an administration is following Ministry of
Education directions, should be summarily dismissed from office. But
then, by a reasonable interpretation of law, Mr. Kao should have been
summarily dismissed within one legal day following his noncompliance in
January 2001.
I have said this before and, because of the obduracy of Mr. Kao and
his associates at Natonal Cheng Kung University, it bears repeating: I
will never compromise my human rights at National Cheng Kung University
nor will I compromise the full legal benefits of the Ministry ruling of
8 January 2001, which includes full compensation, a formal resolution,
and an official apology. I will use all legal options to resolve this
case, now in its eighth year, in congruence with my legal rights in Taiwan.

Sincerely,

Richard de Canio
Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
National Cheng Kung University
Tainan, Taiwan

No comments:

Post a Comment